Re: Bundled Provides Libraries and Versioning

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Randy Barlow <bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am guilty of doing this a few times in a couple of my packages. My
reasons when I did it were that I didn't know the version, and didn't
know an easy way to determine the version. I figured it was better to
at least declare that I'm bundling it with uncertainty on the version
than to not declare at all.

We do this for WebKit, which bundles ANGLE and various other crap Google libraries, because crap Google libraries do not have releases or versions. They do generally have tags corresponding to Chrome releases, but I think we generally use git snapshots. So just thinking up a version number to use for the provides is not easy.

Another problem is selecting the name for the provides. E.g. pick between bundled(ANGLE) or bundled(libangle). With the next evince update, evince will bundle a LZMA decoder. Should it be bundled(LZMA) or bundled(lzma-sdk) or bundled(7zip)? Some of these options seem better than others, but all are reasonable and maintainers are likely to choose different ones....

Michael