Re: [Modularity] A proposal for stream naming

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 03:26:50PM +0200, Petr Šabata wrote:
> > I have an alternate idea too: "collection" type modules would
> > use arbitrary integer versions starting with 1 and increase only if the
> > content undergoes a major switch. ALL module streams would contain EOL
> > information after the version number separated by a ":". This EOL info
> > would be a date as above, or the string "latest", _or_ the string
> > "stable", indicating that no abi-breaking changes are expected ever and
> > that we basically have no known EOL.
> I like simple integer approach and it feels natural from an
> engineer's point of view.  I think.  I can also imagine using
> years or years.months, depending on how often the module
> maintainer decides to release a new... thing.
>
> Like "tools 2017", "tools 2017.6".  *shrugs*
> But I don't really have a preference.
>
> I wouldn't include EOL directly in the stream (i.e. branch)
> name but I totally agree it needs to be prominently displayed
> in any user interface that deals with modules.  No matter where
> the tools get it from.

I really, really don't want anyone creating new modules without
considering lifecycle. Forcing it into the stream name is:

 a) one way to force that, and
 b) possible now without changing the tooling.

How hard would it be to get EOL into the spec and prominently displayed
in DNF and whatever compose tools? And, perhaps more saliently, how
quickly could it be done?

> ":" is one of the symbols still considered for name:stream
> separation, if it's going to change from the "-" used currently.

That's not necessarily a problem, as long as it's defined as "the first
: separates name from stream" and : isn't allowed in name. But I'm not
hung up on the particular symbol.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>