Re: Fedora Modules & Fedora 27 Server Edition (Changes)

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 01:55:58PM -0400, langdon wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 01:29 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On 06/26/2017 11:04 AM, Langdon White wrote:
> >
> > > We talked about this with the server wg and decided for F27 server we would
> > > try to avoid an "everything else" module and figure out how to solve this
> > > problem more nicely between now and release. We have multiple options here
> > > including : generating modules for everything, making an extra repo of
> > > stuff available, leaving non-modules out, and, finally, the everything else
> > > module.
> > So there is never going to be any mixing of modules and non modules? I
> > would think another way to solve this issue might be to get dnf to
> > prefer modules, but still operate on either rpms or modules, so if you
> > ran 'dnf install tmux' it would look for a tmux module, if it finds it
> > great, it uses that. If it doesn't then it looks for the rpm and uses that.
> > Then if later you do 'dnf update' and there is now a tmux module it
> > uninstalls the rpm and intalls the module, etc.
>
> Essentially, this ^^ is exactly the plan. The DNF folks will have to weigh
> in on exactly how the priorities will work. I also would like to see some UX
> testing around your last point. As in, I am not sure the user gets what they
> expect if it replaces the tmux-rpm with the tmux-module without any hint.

  What exactly would be the difference between tmux.rpm and tmux.module.rpm?
Would it be configure flags? Bundled libraries? Something else?

--
Tomasz Torcz                 Morality must always be based on practicality.
xmpp: zdzichubg@xxxxxxxxx                -- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen