Re: Tool for generating a rootfs for foreign arch (aarch64 on x86_64, for example)?

/*Adam Williamson*/ wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:45:07 -0700:
On Fri, 2017-06-23 at 09:06 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
You have run into the purest form of open source, the "scratch your
own itch" case.  You want to be able to do things that cannot be done
today, and nobody else is working on it.  It seems like you have a
really good foundation for what needs to be done, so perhaps you could
start a project to work towards what you need?  If you publicize it,
you might even get some contributors to join you.

I'll be honest, I have been thinking about it... Maybe I'll have
something soonish. ;)
Did you actually check yet whether virt-builder is sufficient for your
purposes?
I'd say the difference is comparable to the difference of containers vs VMs: sometimes you need user-land of another arch, but do not want to run a full VM. For example, it can be used to compile for another arch. So, you might want to build a rootfs with compiler & libraries (but not a complete system image with kernel & ...). As an example, you might refer to rootfs tarballs used for scratchbox to compile for different architectures.

Actually, as Fedora does NOT provide cross compilers (e.g. to build user land ARM applications under x86_64), it can be used to provide 'The Fedora Approach to Cross Compiling'. To create a minimal rootfs with ARM compilers & libraries which can be used using qemu to run ARM GCC in the rootfs to build your packages.

This is actually how I do cross-compiling in Fedora: I grab a Fedora ARM image, install qmeu-user binaries on the host, copy qemu ARM binary into the rootfs (even bind-mounting /lib64 before I know we have qemu static binaries in Fedora!), patch its DNF to work fine under qemu, install required software using 'chroot dnf install ...', bind mounting the source directory, chrooting to the rootfs and build the software.

I've always preferred using scratchbox or the above method to compile ARM binaries rather than using a full VM, which plays much nicer on my pretty-old laptop! :)

Regards,
Hedayat