Re: Security of confined user/application and access to video group

On Tue, 06.06.17 17:44, Germano Massullo (germano.massullo@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > Note sure what "boinc-client" does, but if this isn't turstworthy then
> > it probably shouldn't be able to get access to "video".
>
> boinc-client is the client side version of BOINC (Berkeley Open
> Infrastructure for Network Computing). You can use your computers to
> help scientific research of many different projects. You can think
> about it as a music player, the projects as the music discs, and the
> working units as disc tracks.
> Since working units are closed source software we always considered
> them not trustworthy, therefore they always runned confined as much as
> possible

If so, this sounds like a great candidate for using systemd's
sandboxing functionality. Things like  CapabilityBoundingSet=,
PrivateTmp=, ProtectSystem=, ProtectHome=, ProtectKernelTunables=,
ProtectKernelModules=, ProtectControlGroup=, SystemCallFilter=,
SystemCallArchitectures=, RestrictAddressFamilies=,
RestrictNamespaces=, RestrictRealtime=, ...

See systemd.exec(5) for more information.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat