Re: The future of the packager group for dist-git

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 05:02:39PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 09:42:48PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>
> > The packager group is currently used for a few things:
> > - tracking purpose, it's one of our biggest groups and also one of the most active
> > - members of the packager group can do official package review
> > - members of the packager group can become maintainer of a package
>
> I believe it is also the group that makes packagers fulfil the
> CLA/FPCA+1 criterion which enables certain Fedora services AFAIU. AFAIK
> this includes the e-mail alias for @fedoraproject.org. Somehow it might
> also include extra bugzilla privileges need to be able to re-open,
> re-assign or close bugs (not sure here).
>
> > We could of course adjust pagure is such a way that it will enforce being member
> > of the packager group to be allowed to be added to a project but this seems more
> > pain than gain.
> > (Note: pagure can and will enforce the FPCA for dist-git)
>
> What exactly does "alowed to be added to a project mean". Does this
> meant that they will get commit access to all branches of a project or
> can they also become a package owner? Can they become the default bug
> assignee for a project without being in the packager group?

Technically yes to all of your questions here.
Though, if only member of the packager group can do non-scratch builds and
create bodhi updates then we would end up with a point of contact that does not
have any power (outside of committing on dist-git), so I think this would be
quickly found out.

> > So I would like to ask if we are fine with stopping to require the membership of
> > the packager group to contributors?
> >
> > I do not see the packager group disappearing entirely since it will still be
> > needed for package reviews and we have given rel-eng tooling to check and enforce
> > this on new package requests, but I think it makes sense to stop this requirement
> > to commit on dist-git repos.
>
> If I understand this correctly, this would mean that there could be
> maintainers for a package that would not be reachable via the
> @fedoraproject.org alias? If this is correct it would make it harder to
> reach everyone when sending notifications about packages depending on
> orphaned packages as I use the @fedoraproject.org alias for this.

People with commit access but not part of the packager group could indeed not be
CLA+1, but you could argue that they aren't really maintainers since they also
cannot do anything but committing to the git (no koji builds, no bodhi updates).

> > What do you think?
>
> I believe it is a great idea to allow everyone to fill PRs but I do not
> yet understand to the full package workflow when moving to just pagure
> instead of pkgdb I must confess. I added my open questions about the
> workflow to the wiki so the answers can be made available to everyone:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/WhatHappenedToPkgdb#How_do_I_orphan_a_package.3F

Orphaning a package would be just like in pkgdb, you would give the project to
the `orphan` user.

Pierre