Re: YAST for Fedora?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 3:17 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 07:04:57AM -0000, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
>> > On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 04:05 +0000, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
>> > Because we think it's fundamentally a wrong approach.
>> > It's not really a question of resources, but of not thinking this is
>> > the correct approach.
>>
>> What is the correct approach?
>
> You seem to have missed this in Adam's email so here it is:
>
> i) just getting things right so we don't need a giant pile of
> configuration tools
> ii) tools written at more appropriate layers, mainly desktop
> environments

This is how you wind up with systemd. One overarching tool with a
forced consistent toolset will include debris that is completely
unnecessary for some environments and merely brings in libraries or
compnents they don't need, and be unable to do the more specific,
tuneable tasks for particular configuration tools. It was tried for
Fedora years ago, and discarded with a passion.

> Now if you think this is wrong, maybe you could give a few examples and bug
> reports so that there is something tangible to discuss. Otherwise we're just
> discussing around opinions and I doubt that it would lead to anything
> productive.

YaST DNS management, limited, painful, and difficult to tune for valid
site specific configuration such as using the same .zone file for
multiple domains.
YaST package management, which attempts to incorporate management of
non-RPM proprietary tools alongside RPM package management, mishandles
the proprietary tools, and doesn't report conflicts among them though
it's alleging to manage both.
YaST mishandling of timezone confurations. (They may have fixed that one.)
YaST printer configuration. Mind you, that one's always been painful.

YaST reminded me, very forcefully, of Eric Raymond's essay on "The
Luxury of Ignorance". Unfortunately, in its attempts to make things,
it got many things *wrong*, and had little option to get them right.
Amusingly, this is the third time I've mentioned that essay this week
to people very excited about having a gui, and not admitting the
limitations of their particular approach. YaST, when I last used it,
violated every one of Eric's original 6 rules of thumb, and the 4
rules of thumb that I suggested to him and that he added as a
postscript.

It may have gotten better, but it was *horrible* the last time I touched it.