Re: Self Introduction: Travis Kendrick

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:44:45AM -0500, Pouar wrote:
> Well I could probably package almost anything as long as I understand
> it.
That's true for any packager. The question is what are the areas which
you particularly like and could do useful stuff right away.

> On my Arch system I have a few custom packages. Some of them are
> just the official packages that I have recompiled with different
> compile options or against different libraries such as musl or
> LibreSSL. Others are packages that I have modified to suit my needs
> (for example, systemd seems to be hardcoded to print status messages to
> /dev/console, which obscures the console with "Starting Foo Service"
> messages until it gets through starting everything, so I modified it to
> print to /dev/tty1, which is what I use for these types of messages on
> my system). There are some packages I use that probably aren't in
> Fedora, such as xxHash, LibreSSL, and musl, and they don't look too
> hard to package for Fedora, even though Pacman is a lot easier to
> package for than RPM.
So those are all examples of stuff which is not useful ;)
Please don't take that as a critique of your work, rather it's a different
philosophies of different distributions. Going example by example:
- musl is a non-feature-full poor cousin, and it doesn't make much sense
  to compile some programs in the distribution against it, since glibc
  is already required by countless packages, so compiling a few choice
  programs against musl just increases your disk usage and memory consumption
  because of less shared text.
- systemd prints stuff to /dev/console because that's where messages
  are supposed to go, some people have more than one console
  configured.  It's like saying that C programs are hardcoded to
  print to stdout. Systemd tries to avoid writing messages to the console
  once gettys are up, so if you see mangled output, that sounds like a bug.
  But the proper fix is to figure out what is going on, not hardcode the
  output to a different tty.

To return to $subject, I think your approach of becoming a
co-maintainer and helping out with stuff that is already here rather
than adding yet more packages is great, we should do this more often
as a distro. But if you want to do that, you need to either pick some
area and ask people what they want help with, or pick some area and
start working on stuff, possibly sending patches or opening or closing
tickets in bugzilla or pagure. Either way, you need to pick some
scope, so that you're speaking to some specific maintainers, not all
and none of them.

Zbyszek