Re: How attached are we to branch ACLs? -- Should we kill pkgdb?

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 02:34:42PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> PC> So, does per-branch ACLs make sense to you? Have you had cases where
> PC> you thought it was good/bad? More importantly, have you had cases
> PC> where you would want to give someone access to just one branch and
> PC> really really do *not* want them to have access to the other
> PC> branches?
>
> To me it's more about information.  Currently we can track who is
> working on, say, EPEL6 separately from Fedora.  Since packaging for EPEL
> can be significantly different (though less so since EPEL5 is almost
> gone) it helps to keep that separate.  There are many cases where
> maintainers for Fedora just don't want to be troubled with keeping track
> of what's required to make EPEL (and especially old EPEL) work.
>
> This does matter for, say, bugzilla assignments, but I don't think
> there's any real case where you'd want to prevent _in infrastructure_
> someone from poking at a specific branch.  If simple communication and
> the occasional git revert doesn't work then you have a much greater
> problem anyway.
>
> So per-branch _enforcement_ of ACLs doesn't seem particularly important
> to me, but I think it would still be useful to keep track somewhere.
> And of course we have to tell bugzilla something.

Thanks Tibbs, you put your two foot exactly where I didn't want to go: the other
things pkgdb bring us :)

So yes pkgdb isn't just a glorified gitolite admin interface, it has a few more
features:
- Keep trac of Point of Contact for the package, in Fedora and in the different
  EPEL
- Keeps trac of who is added to the CC list of the bugs opened against the
  package on bugzilla
- New package/branch workflow.

My first idea for this is that we could just have a git repo storing something
like a toml file or files containing these information.
These files could then be made publicly accessible to anyone on our proxies and
zodbot & other apps could just query them.

Want to be CC'ed to a package?
- Open a pull-request to add you
Want a new branch?
- Open a pull-request for it
Want to orphan a package?
- Open a pull-request making the PoC be: orphan

Maybe this ought to be in the dist-git repo of the package itself, maybe another
git repo elsewhere where rel-eng could process the requests.
We could just use fedmsg to trigger the sync to bugzilla and we could also
prevent people without a bugzilla account to be added to the CC list of a
package.

This is of course a first idea, there may be more and better ones.

Pierre