How risky is lm_sensors's sensors-detect nowadays?

I'm working on packaging Freon, a GNOME Shell extension that displays hardware temperature in the top bar.
<https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/gnome-shell-extension-freon>

Freon relies on lm_sensors, and needs the `sensors-detect` command to be run before it will work. The interactive output of sensors-detect and the man page still say that there's a small but non-zero risk of serious hardware damage associated with some of the tests the program does. However, most of the trouble I see from running sensors-detect is from several years ago; starting in version 3.3.3, lm_sensors changed some of the default behavior to reduce the likelihood of future problems. I can't find anything more recent which describes the degree of any remaining risk. I also can't find anything about *what* the risk factors even are.

So. Does anyone here know the risk factors, and how much risk there really is today when even CentOS 7 uses lm_sensors 3.4?

I've used both Freon and lm_sensors without blowing up my computer, and it since `sensors-detect` is mandatory for Freon to work, it seems like it should be included in a %post scriptlet. But I don't want to damage unsuspecting users' hardware... 😕