Re: Static libraries in Fedora distribution (Was: Re: [Help Wanted] PPC64LE build for thrift)

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:56:50AM -0700, Josh Stone wrote:
>> On 03/14/2017 05:05 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>> If glibc-static was removed from Fedora and that change propagated to
>>> RHEL I know of companies that might stop being customers of Red Hat.
>>
>> Even if Fedora removed it, we could still make the business decision to
>> add it back to RHEL.

To be clear, I'm not advocating removal, just trying to say that
worrying about RHEL is the wrong approach.

>>> Being unable to statically link their applications would be a
>>> showstopper for some, and would cause them to move to a different
>>> distro.
>>
>> This may still be a useful consideration for Fedora itself.  Would we
>> alienate anyone if Fedora removed glibc-static?
>
> Yes, you would prevent us from being able to build static binaries for
> the QEMU system emulators in Fedora QEMU packages. This in turn prevents
> them from being used to provide seemless execution from non-native
> architecture chroots / containers. This is used for example, by flatpack
> to allow non-native architecture compilation, or as well as by myself
> for various personal projects needing non-native compilation environments.
>
> I agree there are many reasons why static libraries are a bad idea in
> general, particularly the security implications, but they are none the
> less useful at times and not every usage scenario has the same security
> requirements.
>
> NB, throwing out all the -static RPMs doesn't magically remove static
> compilation from Fedora. There are entire non-C language toolchains in
> Fedora that are based on static compilation - eg OCaml and Go

Yep, I maintain Rust which is one of these.  But it does still default
to shared linking for libc and any other FFI.