Re: Static libraries in Fedora distribution (Was: Re: [Help Wanted] PPC64LE build for thrift)

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:56:50AM -0700, Josh Stone wrote:
> On 03/14/2017 05:05 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > If glibc-static was removed from Fedora and that change propagated to
> > RHEL I know of companies that might stop being customers of Red Hat.
>
> Even if Fedora removed it, we could still make the business decision to
> add it back to RHEL.
>
> > Being unable to statically link their applications would be a
> > showstopper for some, and would cause them to move to a different
> > distro.
>
> This may still be a useful consideration for Fedora itself.  Would we
> alienate anyone if Fedora removed glibc-static?

Yes, you would prevent us from being able to build static binaries for
the QEMU system emulators in Fedora QEMU packages. This in turn prevents
them from being used to provide seemless execution from non-native
architecture chroots / containers. This is used for example, by flatpack
to allow non-native architecture compilation, or as well as by myself
for various personal projects needing non-native compilation environments.

I agree there are many reasons why static libraries are a bad idea in
general, particularly the security implications, but they are none the
less useful at times and not every usage scenario has the same security
requirements.

NB, throwing out all the -static RPMs doesn't magically remove static
compilation from Fedora. There are entire non-C language toolchains in
Fedora that are based on static compilation - eg OCaml and Go

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|