Re: Unannounced soname bump (Rawhide and 26): ldns (libldns.so.1 -> libldns.so.2)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 06:35:17AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:10 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > ldns was updated from 1.6.17 to 1.7.0 for Rawhide and Fedora 26 on
> > 2017-03-06. This update bumped the soname from libldns.so.1 to
> > libldns.so.2 . This soname bump was not announced, as it is supposed
> > be, and dependent packages were not rebuilt.
> >
> > opendnssec depends on libldns and freeipa-server-dns requires
> > opendnssec, so this resulted in FreeIPA server deployment - which is
> > core Fedora Server feature, and in the Alpha release requirements -
> > breaking on both 26 and Rawhide.
> >
> > We will now need to go through the blocker process to have the
> > opendnssec rebuild pulled into Fedora 26 composes, as this
> > unannounced
> > soname bump landed right before the Alpha freeze.
> >
> > Other packages that depend on libldns appear to be dnssec-trigger and
> > netresolve. dnssec-trigger has been rebuilt (but will need to go
> > through the blocker or FE process to make it into 26 Alpha),
> > netresolve
> > has not, yet. I will try to rebuild netresolve.
> >
> > Once again, folks, *please* announce your soname bumps, and co-
> > ordinate
> > rebuilds.
>
> Can we simply have a mechanism that blocks packages from going through
> if a soname bump id detected and an appropriate bugzilla with a
> specific keyword of SONAMEBUMP is not present, or something like that ?
There's also the old school technique of specifying the soname in %files:

%global somajor 11
%global sominor 2.3
%files
%_libdir/lib%name.so.%soversion.%sominor
%_libdir/lib%name.so.%soversion
%files devel
%_libdir/lib%name.so

And then one cannot do an announcement so-bump by mistake.

Zbyszek