Re: Unannounced soname bump (Rawhide and 26): ldns (libldns.so.1 -> libldns.so.2)

On Tue, 2017-03-14 at 11:39 +0100, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 06:35:17 -0400
> Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:10 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > ldns was updated from 1.6.17 to 1.7.0 for Rawhide and Fedora 26
> > > on
> > > 2017-03-06. This update bumped the soname from libldns.so.1 to
> > > libldns.so.2 . This soname bump was not announced, as it is
> > > supposed
> > > be, and dependent packages were not rebuilt.
> > >
> > > opendnssec depends on libldns and freeipa-server-dns requires
> > > opendnssec, so this resulted in FreeIPA server deployment - which
> > > is
> > > core Fedora Server feature, and in the Alpha release requirements
> > > -
> > > breaking on both 26 and Rawhide.
> > >
> > > We will now need to go through the blocker process to have the
> > > opendnssec rebuild pulled into Fedora 26 composes, as this
> > > unannounced
> > > soname bump landed right before the Alpha freeze.
> > >
> > > Other packages that depend on libldns appear to be dnssec-trigger
> > > and netresolve. dnssec-trigger has been rebuilt (but will need to
> > > go
> > > through the blocker or FE process to make it into 26 Alpha),
> > > netresolve
> > > has not, yet. I will try to rebuild netresolve.
> > >
> > > Once again, folks, *please* announce your soname bumps, and co-
> > > ordinate
> > > rebuilds.
> >
> > Can we simply have a mechanism that blocks packages from going
> > through
> > if a soname bump id detected and an appropriate bugzilla with a
> > specific keyword of SONAMEBUMP is not present, or something like
> > that ?
> >
> > This would force maintainers to pay attention and coordinate
> > perhaps ?
>
> the existing libabigail taskotron task should be able to help here

Yeah I had that in mind, we can detect this, I guess the harder part is
 to tell the composer "it's ok, we handled it", unless perhaps a soname
bump causes automatically to create a build target that tries to
rebuild all the recorded dependencies and gives the green light (or
files bugs) if everything rebuilds fine ?

Just an idea...

Simo.