Re: hotness tried to map X to an upstream project, but failed: "Could not determine backend for http://url/project/X"

Hi Jeremy,

> I help maintain both the-new-hotness and Anitya. the-new-hotness
> attempts to update projects in Anitya when changes occur in pkgdb
> (among other things). I assume when you use "X" you don't literally
> mean "X" and when you say "http://url/project/X"; you don't literally
> mean that URL?

No, it was meant as a variable.

> I don't think Anitya can help you monitor upstream because it doesn't
> download package sources, just scrapes web pages. We could potentially
> add a backend that does that, though.

I don't know if there are many (or any) other upstream projects that
treat their releases the same way - as far as versioning is concerned.
Adding such a backend could be too much trouble for insignificant
gains, but ultimately, that is up to you. At first I used to check the
version inside the font itself and the one mentioned on the web page,
but there have been several silent updates with no version bumps, so I
have found checking the hashes to be the most reliable method.

> You don't need to take any action, but I'd be grateful if you could
> give me a list of package names so I can poke around their upstreams to
> see how difficult adding a backend would be and also to see what
> Anitya/the-new-hotness are currently trying to do.

These are the ones for which I received the messages (the URL in their
spec files did change since the last version, for a while they had
their own web pages):

gdouros-aegean-fonts
gdouros-alexander-fonts
gdouros-anaktoria-fonts
gdouros-aroania-fonts
gdouros-asea-fonts
gdouros-avdira-fonts
(the last 5 are part of the same upstream "Textfonts" package)

and here is a list of all the gdouros-*-fonts:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/?motif=gdouros*
(same upstream, same troubles)

Tanks for looking into that!