Re: hotness tried to map X to an upstream project, but failed: "Could not determine backend for http://url/project/X"

On 02/24/2017 11:08 AM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just received about a dozen of messages like the one mentioned in
> the subject, accompanied with:
>
> pkgdb_updater updated: upstream_url of X
>         https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/X/
>
> for a number of gdouros-X-fonts that I updated recently and whose
> upstream URL had changed.
>
> I have not added these projects to anitya on purpose, because upstream
> regularly restructures their website, the source packages do not
> contain any version numbers, sometimes packages get updated silently
> and the development takes place offline.
> My solution for monitoring what upstream does was a script that runs
> daily and checks the md5 hashes of the current upstream sources and
> their URLs against those in Fedora. Can anitya work in a similar
> fashion?
>
> Do I need to take action about these messages or do I just ignore them?

Hi Alexander,

I help maintain both the-new-hotness and Anitya. the-new-hotness
attempts to update projects in Anitya when changes occur in pkgdb
(among other things). I assume when you use "X" you don't literally
mean "X" and when you say "http://url/project/X"; you don't literally
mean that URL?

I don't think Anitya can help you monitor upstream because it doesn't
download package sources, just scrapes web pages. We could potentially
add a backend that does that, though.

You don't need to take any action, but I'd be grateful if you could
give me a list of package names so I can poke around their upstreams to
see how difficult adding a backend would be and also to see what
Anitya/the-new-hotness are currently trying to do.

Thanks!

--
Jeremy Cline
XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxx