Re: New pastebin service on paste.fedoraproject.org

On 23 February 2017 at 11:47, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for this issue.
> Basically, the paste.fedoraproject.org site has been recently changed,
> and it's basically useless for me now. This screenshot shows the
> issue: https://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/Screenshot%20from%202017-02-23%2016-38-52.png
>
> My frustration is that with all the beautifully designed CSS and
> padded chrome around everything we can only fit 22 lines of actual
> text on the screen. That's about half of the lines that I can get when
> using http://pastebin.com and a third of what I can get with
> https://paste.opensuse.org. The paste URLs from the latter are also
> https://paste.opensuse.org/53391866 (35 chars) compared to
> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/3epoM9U0i4oKyPlw7Z6nfl5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=
> (82 chars)
>
> I find myself no longer using paste.fedoraproject.org -- it can't just
> be me being a grumpy old man, can it? Am I holding it wrong?

So there are multiple things that you don't seem aware about going on here.

1. The code bases for most pastebins are Norwegian parrots. Trying to
find one that was maintained and in a code base we use was not simple.
2. Pastebins are a security code nightmare. Hackers like to figure out
ways to stick their crap into them all the time just to send someone
to pown them. If you don't have regular maintenance upstream it is all
on you. The opensuse pastebin would probably be a lot of patching on
their side.
3. Pastebins are a nightmare to run. The daily scans by pirates and
command and control systems looking for child porn is a pain in the
ass to deal with and have to be responsible for. For every legitimate
user there are 8 or nine systems which like to dump everything from
personal threats to credit card info to child porn.
4. The problem with the short code pastebins is that every C&C bots do
brute force searches for the threats, credit cards, child porn and ip
addresses of infected systems. This way they don't have to actually
talk to their systems they use an indirect channel which allows them
to be less likely caught.

Yes the modernpaste system we are using has some major issues.. but
the previous one was a nightmare to run, the other ones on the market
are not great either. And with an active upstream we have a chance of
getting things fixed.

This isn't a "you have to put up and use what we give you".. if this
ones does not meet your needs please use one that does. If the service
can't be fixed and doesn't work overall it was a good try and its time
to retire it.

> Richard.

Stephen J Smoogen.