Re: New pastebin service on paste.fedoraproject.org

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 16:47:45 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for this issue.

Probibly not. The infrastructure one would be better, but oh well.

> Basically, the paste.fedoraproject.org site has been recently changed,
> and it's basically useless for me now. This screenshot shows the
> issue:
> https://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/Screenshot%20from%202017-02-23%2016-38-52.png
>
> My frustration is that with all the beautifully designed CSS and
> padded chrome around everything we can only fit 22 lines of actual
> text on the screen. That's about half of the lines that I can get when
> using http://pastebin.com and a third of what I can get with
> https://paste.opensuse.org.

So, some of that could be our theme, which is already being discussed
at:
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/5816
You could chime in there and see if things could be made more compact.

Or it could be an upstream issue (yea for having an upstream again!):
Looking at their demo site:
https://demo.modernpaste.com/
it does seem the layout is pretty set. So, perhaps you could ask them
to make things more compact there?
https://github.com/LINKIWI/modern-paste/issues

The paste URLs from the latter are also
> https://paste.opensuse.org/53391866 (35 chars) compared to
> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/3epoM9U0i4oKyPlw7Z6nfl5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=
> (82 chars)

If you use the command line 'fpaste' util it gives you a shortened url.
We have been discussing how to also include that in the web side.

> I find myself no longer using paste.fedoraproject.org -- it can't just
> be me being a grumpy old man, can it? Am I holding it wrong?

Well, it's change and everyone dislikes that. I hope we can convince
upstream to make changes that our users (like yourself) wish so it's
nice for everyone.

kevin