Re: Emails about new packages

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:34:31 +0100
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:48 +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
> > On 02/16/2017 09:47 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > > The 3.2.1 version is in koji, why was this email sent to bother
> > > me? At some time in the past, I tracked it down and found a way to
> > > "turn this off". But guess what? Now I get 2 emails. The first is
> > > above, and the second one is this:
> > >
> > > the-new-hotness saw an update for suricata, but pkgdb says the
> > > maintainers are not interested in bugs being filed
> > >         https://release-monitoring.org/project/10925/
> > >
> > > Why? This is really passive aggressive. How do I unsubscribe from
> > > this unwanted release monitoring service?
> >
> > the-new-hotness subscribes to the messages published by
> > release-monitoring.org and files a Bugzilla bug on the package. Many
> > packagers find this helpful, but (as you've found) it's possible to
> > turn off. If you do this, the-new-hotness publishes a message saying
> > it saw the message from release-monitoring.org, but isn't acting on
> > it.
> >
> > Fedora has a notification system that also subscribes to all these
> > messages and sends emails or irc messages to you when certain
> > messages are received.

Also, note that in the case of these (release monitoring and
the-new-hotness) you can adjust them on a per package basis in pkgdb.

Look on the side under "Monitoring" and you can set it to 'No
monitoring", "bugs and builds" or "bugs only".

> That's not helpful, though.
>
> The email basically says "Something happened, but you asked not to be
> notified about it, so don't worry I won't tell you".
>
> Why even send that email in the first place?
>
> Anyone who opted out of the release monitoring notifications (note: I
> didn't opt out, I actually find it great) doesn't want any
> notification, let alone one that says "I won't notify you".
>
> The default setting for notifications really ought to be changed here.

I agree. ;)

Took me a bit to find the existing bug here:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/fmn/issues/88

So possibly options IMHO:

* Leave the fedmsg here alone, but modify all users + default profile
  to not include it. That way there's still messages if someone wanted
  to get 'hotness messages where the maintainers don't have it enabled'
  but everyone else could ignore it.

* Just make hotness not generate this message anymore at all.

* something else.

Anyhow, please do add ideas to the upstream bug...

kevin