Re: Emails about new packages

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:48 +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
> On 02/16/2017 09:47 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > The 3.2.1 version is in koji, why was this email sent to bother me?
> > At some time in the past, I tracked it down and found a way to
> > "turn this off". But guess what? Now I get 2 emails. The first is
> > above, and the second one is this:
> >
> > the-new-hotness saw an update for suricata, but pkgdb says the
> > maintainers are not interested in bugs being filed
> >         https://release-monitoring.org/project/10925/
> >
> > Why? This is really passive aggressive. How do I unsubscribe from
> > this unwanted release monitoring service?
>
> the-new-hotness subscribes to the messages published by
> release-monitoring.org and files a Bugzilla bug on the package. Many
> packagers find this helpful, but (as you've found) it's possible to
> turn off. If you do this, the-new-hotness publishes a message saying
> it saw the message from release-monitoring.org, but isn't acting on
> it.
>
> Fedora has a notification system that also subscribes to all these
> messages and sends emails or irc messages to you when certain
> messages are received.

That's not helpful, though.

The email basically says "Something happened, but you asked not to be
notified about it, so don't worry I won't tell you".

Why even send that email in the first place?

Anyone who opted out of the release monitoring notifications (note: I
didn't opt out, I actually find it great) doesn't want any
notification, let alone one that says "I won't notify you".

The default setting for notifications really ought to be changed here.

--
Mathieu