Re: Get LLVM's libc++abi into Fedora, BZ1332306

On 15.02.2017 09:48, E.N. virgo wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I follow.  Supporting multiple C++ ABIs would make
>> things more complicated for developers because they now have to figure
>> out which ABI their project needs and if all the libraries they want to
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> use are available with the right ABI.
>
> From the example in BZ1415512, all libraries are standard, the sources remain the same regardless the compiler to be used. Alas, clang++ now needs to link against the GCC ABI to successfully compile.

what actual problem is caused by that?

> There are some cases when one needs to try different tools, for instance to take advantage of the LLVM's instrumentation tools which IMHO constitute a plus, not a pain.

which clang instrumentation tool requires libc++abi?

all the sanitizers i tried work just fine with libstdc++.

last i checked, libc++ didn't even have an equivalent of _GLIBCXX_DEBUG,
which is a pretty severe limitation and makes it useless for me.

>> I really don't think we should move in this direction.
>
> Are there pointers elsewhere indicating the corner cases of introducing another C++ ABI into Fedora?

there are subtle corner cases breaking exception handling:

https://whatofhow.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/libclibcabi-on-linux/

but hey, some people think that spending many hours debugging that sort
of thing is fun, so taking that as an argument against packaging
libc++abi would clearly go against the C++ philosophy.