Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Anaconda LVM RAID

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 13:13 +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Anaconda LVM RAID =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AnacondaLVMRAID
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Vratislav Podzimek (Anaconda/Blivet) <vpodzime AT redhat DOT com>
> * Heinz Mauelshagen (LVM) <heinzm AT redhat DOT com>
>
> Use LVM RAID instead of LVM of top of MD RAID in the Anaconda
> installer.
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> In the current situation when a user chooses LVM (or Thin LVM)
> partitioning in the Custom Spoke and then sets RAID level for the VG
> Anaconda (and Blivet) create an MD RAID device which is used as a PV
> for the VG. With this change we are going to use LVM RAID directly
> instead. That means that all the LVs in that VG will be RAID LVs with
> the specified RAID level. LVM RAID provides same functionality as MD
> RAID (it shares the same kernel code) with better flexibility and
> additional features expected in future.
>

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> -- Blivet developers: Support creation of LVM RAID in a similar way
> as
> LVM on top of MD RAID. (Creation of RAID LVs is already supported.)
> -- Anaconda developers: Use the new way to create LVM RAID instead of
> creating LVM on top of MD RAID.
> -- LVM developers: LVM RAID already has all features required by this
> change.
>
> * Other developers:
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> * Release engineering:

Please ensure upgrades of systems using MD RAID are properly tested.

My server at home broke on upgrading to Fedora 22 (#1201962), and also
on upgrading to Fedora 20 before that (IIRC). This implies that even
when MD RAID was still being used by default, upgrades weren't very
well-tested. With a move away from MD to LVM RAID, I'm concerned that
things will only get worse. So let's please ensure that we have proper
test coverage for existing systems.