Re: packaging work is becoming increasingly cumbersome

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:26:29 +0100
Julian Sikorski <belegdol@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have been co-maintaining goffice and gnumeric for a while now. It
> has been unfortunately becoming increasingly difficult over time,
> given the fact that the two often need to be chain-built and tools
> needed to do this have been slowly becoming more time-consuming to
> use, in addition to some other issues. For example:
>
> - requesting buildroot overrides via commandline has been broken for
> over than a year now and will not be fixed until f26 [1]. Web
> interface is much slower.

Well, there's some other options there in the last comment.

> - chain-building has been broken for a month [2] so now requesting
> each build in the chain separately is required

I just did a ping on that issue. Hopefully we can get a new release out
with the fix soon. I know rdieter made a local patch he's been using
fine, so this really should not be that hard to push out.

> - fedpkg now needs authentication via kerberos instead of ssh key [3],
> which means that I now have to run kinit before starting a packaging
> session, in addition to firing up keepass and entering the password

Yeah. This will hopefully be helped by the upcoming kerberos cache
change.

> - koji login via certificate is no longer possible which makes it
> harder to track failed builds

We plan to make koji handle GSSAPI and log you in automatically if you
have a kerberos ticket. I'll try and find out the status of that work.

> While I am sure these changes are done with an aim of improving things
> in the long run, the churn caused by them is really starting to take a
> toll on my motivation. Could something be done to mitigate the
> inconveniences caused by the infrastructure upgrades?

We can try.

kevin