Re: Laptop speakers “unavailable”, headphone jack works

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:13:29 +0100
Martin Ueding <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have tried your suggestions (`aplay -l` and `alsamixer -c
> DEVICE_NUMBER`) and found the speakers muted, but unmuting did not
> change anything.

That probably means that alsa detects an issue with the speakers.  Did
you restart pulse after the unmute?  Maybe it didn't pick up the change.

> Booting Ubuntu 16.04 shows the same issue of headphones working and
> speakers dead. I have the hunch that perhaps that a hardware defect
> tells the laptop that there is something plugged in although it isn't.
> And then there is probably nothing one can do with software.

I vaguely recall that for some hardware, alsa would disable speakers if
headphones were plugged in.  If you remove the headphones, do the
speakers start working?

It seems strange that speakers would be a hardware error.  They are
very simple mechanisms, and should only stop working through mechanical
damage.

A couple of long shots:

Is it possible the card is overheating?

Any chance they were turned off in the BIOS?