Re: polymake blocks system updates by strict Perl dependence

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 01:51:54AM +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 21:37 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >
> > You generally need to root to create and run a chroot, so this is
> > expected.
> >
> > > Could something like that be part of Bodhi?
> >
> > I had a look at the source code. piuparts.py [1] has a mishmash
> > of debian/ubuntu distro-specific config, functions for chroot
> > creation, process management, helper functions, and the actual logic
> > of testing stuff. That's why it's so large. Thankfully we wouldn't need
> > most of that.
> >
> > It seems that we *could* use a test like that in taskotron.
> > In particular, install the package, uninstall, reinstall, make sure
> > scriptlets don't fail and not errors are logged.
>
> We certainly could build something like that. However, if you look at
> this case, it's not entirely a simple one - because the package that
> *broke* was polymake, but the package that *changed* was perl. polymake
> didn't change at all. Knowing that we need to run the 'installpkg' (or
> whatever we call it) test on polymake when perl changes makes things
> somewhat more complex. Of course in this particular case it's not crazy
> difficult - all we have to do is parse polymake's deps, easy right?! -
> but this kind of thing leads you down lots of rabbit holes...for
> instance, when perl gets an API bump, thousands of packages will
> suddenly start 'failing' this test, because in Rawhide there's no way
> to group package builds (so we can't 'group' the perl API bump with
> rebuilds of all dependent packages)...what do we do about that?

Yeah, the devil is in the details, as always ;)

> Still, we don't have to make it perfect, and even just a test which
> tried to install all of a source package's binary packages every time
> that package was changed could be useful. Tim says this is something
> that's been talked about but no-one's yet taken the time to do it.
>
> > There's dist.upgradepath test, but I have no idea what it does.
>
> It doesn't do that. It tries to check whether an update breaks the
> upgrade path between releases; it's intended to catch cases where, say,
> 'foo-2.0.fc24' is released while F25 still only has 'foo-1.5.fc25'.
> It's somewhat less important now dnf system-upgrade does a distro-sync
> by default, but still useful I think.
>
> > Unfortunately taskotron is rather opaque :( [2]
> >
> > [1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/piuparts/piuparts.git/tree/piuparts.py
> > [2] https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/ documentation link points to
> >     https://docs.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/libtaskotron/latest/docs
> >     which cannot be resolved.
>
> We're sorry about that - Tim's been updating and moving documentation
> around (in an attempt to make it better), but that meant that URL went
> stale. Or in his verbatim words (it's 1:30am here and we're quite
> tired...), "Oh ****, I was going to do that tomorrow". :)
>
> You can now find the docs here: https://qa.fedoraproject.org/docs/libtaskotron/latest/
> Tim is also fixing the front page link now. There are supposed to be
> redirects from the old URLs but they're not working, he's figuring that
> out.
Thanks!

There's another broken link on the https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/ page:
"Development guide" → https://docs.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/libtaskotron/latest//docs/devguide.html.
(I tried to find the source, but I got lost in the maze of repositories...)

Zbyszek