Re: polymake blocks system updates by strict Perl dependence

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 03:39:50PM -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 01/25/2017 01:22 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >>My question is: is reporting them individually the best approach? I am
> >>happy to keep doing it, but there's been more than the usual amount
> >>recently, and I am wondering if there's some automation that should be
> >>done to detect that in packaging.
> >You mean something like debian's piuparts?
> Thanks for bringing it up---I didn't know about it:
>
>     https://piuparts.debian.org/doc/README.html
>     "PIUPARTS is a tool for testing that packages can be installed,
> upgraded and removed"
>
> In Debian it seems to be a 'big hammer' manual tool that has to be
> run as root, etc.

You generally need to root to create and run a chroot, so this is
expected.

> Could something like that be part of Bodhi?
I had a look at the source code. piuparts.py [1] has a mishmash
of debian/ubuntu distro-specific config, functions for chroot
creation, process management, helper functions, and the actual logic
of testing stuff. That's why it's so large. Thankfully we wouldn't need
most of that.

It seems that we *could* use a test like that in taskotron.
In particular, install the package, uninstall, reinstall, make sure
scriptlets don't fail and not errors are logged.
There's dist.upgradepath test, but I have no idea what it does.
Unfortunately taskotron is rather opaque :( [2]

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/piuparts/piuparts.git/tree/piuparts.py
[2] https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/ documentation link points to
    https://docs.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/libtaskotron/latest/docs
    which cannot be resolved.