Re: Diagreement with pkgconfig removal

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2017-01-14 06:45, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Sorry this doesn'ŧ answer my clear questions, still OK to answer them..
>>>
>>> It looks like somebody needs to test some re-implementation of
>>> pkg-congfig (and
>>> I'm pretty sure Fedora Rawhide is not correct place to play such games).
>>> I'm
>>> curious how it is even possible that we in Fedora are able to do such
>>> quick
>>> decissions.
>>>

>> You and I have different views on what Fedora is about, clearly. And
>> this is absolutely no game. That being said, pkgconf has been brutally
>> tested by FreeBSD Ports and pkgsrc (BSD and Linux), where it has
>> survived multiple mass rebuilds. GNOME already makes incompatibilities
>> with pkgconf a blocker in their release strategy, and while pkgconf is
>> fully conformant to the "specification" of .pc files, it already
>> supports more of it than pkgconfig does. Admittedly, it is less
>> tolerant of badly written .pc files, but those should be fixed,
>> anyway.
>>
>> I am extremely confident that the change will be mostly (if not
>> completely) transparent.
>

> What about mingw-pkg-config?  Using pkgconf for a cross-pkg-config is a bit
> more work because of the library (in which the default search path is
> hardcoded) would then need to be built statically into the binary, and
> subsequently not installed so as to not conflict with the "native"
> libpkgconf.
>
> That being said, I wonder if embedding the default search path into the
> library isn't a mistake in design, as it does not prevent the need for
> multiple copies of the same code as in the above example.  Instead, if the
> library were to be path agnostic and shipped separately, and the default
> search paths set by the consumers, then a cross-pkgconf could use such a
> libpkgconf.

It is possible to override the default at runtime inside libpkgconf.
The default is only used if you do not install a search path prior to
calling pkgconf_pkg_dir_list_build().

An easier way is to use the PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR and PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environmental variables, which can be used by cross wrappers to
completely replace the default.
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR is the fallback paths, which PKG_CONFIG_PATH are the
site paths.
This approach also works with pkg-config but I don't know to what
extent it is formally supported there.

Feel free to drop by #pkgconf in freenode IRC if you have questions
about it, I'm quite certain we can find a solution that will work for
you.

William