Re: F26 System Wide Change: pkgconf as system pkg-config implementation

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, January 13, 2017 5:54:41 PM CET Pavel Raiskup wrote:
>> Doh I missed this.  This is now approved due to "bootstrapping issue".  So the
>> way to use "old" pkgconfig is (in case of FTBFS)?
>
> Reading again the proposal, there's compatibility layer -- but the old
> implementation nowhere (Obsoleted)?
>
> The package is in Rawhide ~2weeks.  What set of packages has been rebuilt to
> test for peculiarities?  Who else (distros) did this change and why?
>
> Who pinged upstream of "old" pkgconfig (seems like the last release is from
> 2016, it is not dead).
>
> Why don't we have both implementations and let user's pick the
> implementation they like?  And resolve the "bootstrapping issue" with the
> implementation which better suits ...?

The pkgconf-pkg-config package has not been enabled yet. Once this
change is accepted, I'll build to enable it, and the distribution will
automatically prefer it over pkgconfig (since pkgconf-pkg-config
provides a slightly higher version of pkgconfig and Conflicts with
pkgconfig versions lower than what it provides for this purpose).
After mass rebuild completes, pkgconfig can be retired from
Rawhide/F26 and pkgconf-pkg-config can Obsolete it.