Re: nfs-utils-2.1.1 Changes Everything!

On 01/16/2017 05:16 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> It's definitely a change.
>
> If there's going to be breakage, i.e. no migration tool or script,
> then that can't apply retroactively. Just silently breaking Fedora 25
> is not OK, I predict only widespread irritation.
No.. breaking f25 will not happen... If f25 is upgraded, I already have a
backwards compatible patch that will support both configuration
models.

> A hard break for Fedora 26 or 27 still makes me wonder why there's no
> migration tool or script, rather than expect people with possibly
> complex setups to have to redo configuration by hand?
Yes.. this is the problem.. How does one migrate from one configuration
model to another... smoothly...

> If there's some
> sort of ambiguity and non-standard aspect to existing configuration
> files that makes this difficult, hopefully the new configuration
> format is designed to be easily parsed automatically so the next time
> there's a configuration format change that it can be automatically
> migrated. And if the new configuration format doesn't lend itself to
> automatic migrations, then I'd say the change should be rejected.
The new configuration will allow  external project to configure NFS more
easily... In theory... There is talk about moving /etc/nfsmout.conf and
/etc/idmount.conf into /etc/nfs.conf... which would mean both the
server and client would be configurable from one file.

steved.