Re: nfs-utils-2.1.1 Changes Everything!

On 01/16/2017 04:58 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> If you had to transition RHEL customers from the old style to the new
>>> style with a specific support timeframe in mind, how would you do it?
>>> That's what I would do here.
>> Are you kidding me! :-) There is no way, IMHO,  to will transition this type of
>> change into a current RHEL releases. Going forward... only time will tell...
> No, I didn't mean introduce it in e.g. 7.2 -> 7.3.  I meant how would
> you phase this in so users using e.g. RHEL 7 have sufficient lead time
> to migrate to the new style whenever the next major RHEL release comes
> out.  What tools or scripts would you put in place to help with mixed
> release environments?
Understood... I see this as similar to migrating from the SysV init scripts to
systemd... what of tools where there for that? I didn't see many... which is fine.
I just wanted to raise the flag that this was happening...

> Are there upgrade tools that would be needed?
> Those are the things I would think about.  They apply to Fedora
> releases as well.
I can't agree with this more... How does one migrate from one configuration
model to another? This is exactly why I'm bring this up to the community.

I will be more than willing to work with any project to make this transition
be as smooth as possible.

steved.