Re: F26 System Wide Change: Parallel Installable Debuginfo

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 09:38 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > These changes will make all files in any debuginfo file unique so they
> > don't conflict when installed in parallel. There should be no changes
> > necessary to programs (gdb, perf, valgrind, systemtap,
> > systemd-coredump, eu-stack, abrt-hook-ccpp, etc.) that use build-ids
> > or .gnu_debuglink to lookup DWARF debug information and source
> > references for tracing, profiling and debugging.
> >
> > It would be good to tweak dnf debuginfo-install to know about parallel
> > installable debuginfo packages and maybe have an easy option to
> > install the debuginfo for a core file or for the packages running in a
> > container.
>
> This also necessitates that we split sources out into a debugsource
> subpackage, and ideally this should be able to be optionally disabled,
> as downstream package builders may not want sources included for
> debugging purposes (I've seen complaints from people about being
> forced to disable debuginfo generation entirely because there's no way
> to disable including sources). I believe the SUSE guys have already
> done both of these things, and it would be worth it to talk to the
> SUSE guys about their approach and pull it in to this.

Yes. I am looking at integrating that idea into upstream rpm.
But I wanted to split that proposal from this one which "simply" enables
parallel installable debuginfo.

I originally proposed this change for F25 but it took too much time to
get all patches accepted upstream before the deadline. I am trying to
avoid growing this specific change proposal and risk missing the
deadline again.

Shall we work on a separate change proposal (on top of this one) that
introduces debugsource and debuginfo subpackages? I think that could
still make it for F26. But it would be good to do it as a separate
step/proposal IMHO.

Thanks,

Mark