Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

> > > Idea #2: Do not block on optical media issues for Final release for
> > > certain
> > > flavors/image types (Server, netinst)
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The outcome seems to be we should block on Workstation Live and Everything
> netinst. Stephen confirmed his "remote DVD drive" installation was not
> affected by the firmware issue causing some optical disks failing to boot.
> Also just testing one Live and one netinst should give us a high probability
> to detect all such issues, because all the Live and DVD+netinst images are
> created the same way. I'll again propose a criterion adjustment on the test
> list.
>
> Thanks everyone for providing valuable feedback.

Sigh, I found a minor setback. We agreed Everything netinst is the best candidate for release blocking as an optical medium, but today I found out Everything netinst is marked as *not* release blocking at all [1]. Which some somewhat funny, because I always considered it as such (and I think more of us did), and this is quite a surprise for me. And if we don't block on it, we can't obviously block on it when it's burned to a spinning disc.

One solution here is to make Everything netinst release blocking. There is a good use case for that, it's the most universal install medium we have (you can install anything from it). A different solution is to mark e.g. Server netinst as blocking for optical media, but that will cover only Server (so no Workstation or KDE support in case optical boot is really broken).

Thoughts?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Program_Management/ReleaseBlocking/Fedora25#Other_Deliverables