Re: Are partial upgrades expected to work in rawhide?

On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 08:46 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 08:43:37PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > I think officially, we don't "support" anything but all-or-nothing
> > > upgrades in *all* branches. That is, if you cherry-pick an update from
> > > updates (or even updates-testing) and it also needs some other package
> > > to be upgraded even when that's not made clear from the deps, our
> > > stance is "oh, upgrade everything and then it will work".
>
> [...]
> > No, I don't think that's correct. The policy requires updates to be
> > dep-complete.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updating_inter-dependent_packages
>
> I don't think that conflicts with what I'm saying — if in that
> secenario (package A requires new versions of B and C), if the new
> version of B has a change but didn't change soname, and someone updates
> _just_ package A on their system, not the whole update, oops. We
> *expect* them to take the whole update.

Sure - but you talked about cherry-picking "an update", not "a
package". Cherry picking *packages* from updates-testing is not
required to work (or fail 'correctly' due to a dependency), no, but
cherry-picking *updates* more or less _is_ supposed to work.

If by 'update' you meant 'package' then we're not disagreeing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey