Re: Are partial upgrades expected to work in rawhide?

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 08:43:37PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I think officially, we don't "support" anything but all-or-nothing
> > upgrades in *all* branches. That is, if you cherry-pick an update from
> > updates (or even updates-testing) and it also needs some other package
> > to be upgraded even when that's not made clear from the deps, our
> > stance is "oh, upgrade everything and then it will work".
[...]
> No, I don't think that's correct. The policy requires updates to be
> dep-complete.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updating_inter-dependent_packages

I don't think that conflicts with what I'm saying — if in that
secenario (package A requires new versions of B and C), if the new
version of B has a change but didn't change soname, and someone updates
_just_ package A on their system, not the whole update, oops. We
*expect* them to take the whole update.

Or, new B is _already_ in updates, and A is built against it; if you
install a fresh system without updates and just apply A, again...
you're in an edge case situation, not the expected one.

I'm not sayin' that's not a bug in the packaging. When it happens, it
probably should be fixed. But I bet we've had this happen dozens of
times and not done anything about it.

(Honestly, if I'm wrong here, I'd be happy to hear it.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>