Re: nothing provides libpython3.6m.so.1.0

On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 12:24 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> > > That was me. The idea was let's just fix the remaining packages in rawhide.
> > > Because, as I was told, the side-tag should only last for two weeks max.
> > > Sorry if this was not done 100 % perfect, this was our fist attempt (all the
> > > people who done the 3.5 rebuild are doing something else now).
> >
> > The reason for that guidance is that things move on the main branch
> > and you end up chasing your tail with multiple bumps. Basically you
> > want to build as quick as possible and get it done else you'll do a
> > lot multiple times.
>
> Yes and also we didn't want to let it live during Christmas.
>
> Sorry if we made rawhide broken by our decision to merge early :(

I don't want to sound too harsh, sorry. Indeed this isn't hugely
different from the way things have been done previously, to be fair.

However, we *have* been making a concerted effort lately to improve the
ongoing quality of Rawhide. Think about changes to general software
development lately. Most software projects these days don't work by
accepting massive, disruptive commits to master without any checks and
then cleaning up the mess bit-by-bit later, right? Many of us would
like Fedora to work the same way: you don't just dump the Latest Shiny
in as soon as it passes 'fedpkg build' and then wait for the bug
reports and compose failures to roll in, but make an effort to ensure
the change will, broadly speaking, work *when it lands*.

Indeed not all the corresponding tools / processes are available yet
(we don't attempt composes or run automated tests on side tags, for
e.g.), but it is possible to do *better*. It only took me five minutes
of eyeballing the list of broken packages to spot several important
ones that it would be easy to think 'hmm, maybe we should fix that
before merging the tag'. And if you talk to releng and QA about it,
it's quite possible that we could do some manual compose attempts and
test runs on the side tag; it's not Jenkins, but it's something.

Just like a code project, I think everyone will ultimately be happier
if we strive to keep Rawhide roughly working - not perfect, but at
least composing and installing - all the time if we can, and everyone
gets that itchy feeling if the compose check report says '50 tests
failed' or the nightly compose doesn't work at all (in fact, I think we
should have pungi send out a mail whenever a nightly compose fails,
because right now when Rawhide or Branched aren't composing, this isn't
very 'visible' unless you're one of the QA or releng folks who actively
goes looking for the nightlies). It should be the same feeling you get
when you go to a software project's front page and see the big red
'build failing' Light Of Failure.

The old mindset that 'hey, it's only Rawhide, it's fine if it doesn't
compose for three weeks at a a time!' ultimately just makes our lives
harder, because we wind up getting to, say, the branch point or the
Alpha freeze, not with a generally-functional distribution we can start
polishing up, but with a bag of broken bits we have to spend two weeks
just getting to the point that we can build all the deliverables.

It's true that this approach results in you having to do a bit more
work before merging, and maybe we'd have to write a script or something
to help with the "I built 1.0-2 against NEWSHINY in the side tag but
then the maintainer built 2.0-1 against OLDBORING in the main tag!"
problem. But that shouldn't be insurmountable.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey