Re: release cycle thread (motivations, and... revisiting tick-tock?)

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:11:32 PM CET Matthew Miller wrote:
> First, I very frequently hear this: "Fedora should have an LTS — or be
> a rolling release." These two things are very far apart in actual
> implication, but they have one big thing in common, and when pressed,
> it usually comes down to: "Upgrades are painful and scary." We have
> been working really hard on making upgrades fast and seamless, so we
> need to deliver that message to users (and of course work to make
> further improvements).

Indeed, I don't remember when I had troubles with N->N+1 major fedora
upgrade last time (though I always do distro-sync) on _my workstation_.

Upgrades on production servers (services built on top of Fedora) is
probably what scares users (with N->N+1 you can always expect a lot of
library API changes).  But maybe this is the thing which might be solved
by modularity;  one version of "module"  version to span multiple Fedora
major versions...

Pavel