Re: release cycle thread (motivations, and... revisiting tick-tock?)

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:20:49 AM CET Matthew Miller wrote:
> 1. I believe in the value of releases, for the project and for end
>    users — as opposed to a "rolling release" system. But major releases
>    are a lot of work across the project — not just release engineering,
>    but marketing, ambassadors, design, docs, and others. One possible
>    way to reduce this is to have major releases less frequently. I want
>    a cadence that gives us the highest return on effort. Maybe that's
>    six months — and maybe it isn't.

I believe in both -- and I believe Fedora could have both -- "rolling
release" and "major releases" as a separate "products".

There are people in the wild who will never use Fedora as the workstation
system because they seek for rolling distro (while Rawhide is _almost_
there).  It is sad we loose those users.

> I suggested one release a year as an alternative to the current two per
> year.

I don't have a strong opinion here ... but I personally like the idea
about annual "major release" cycle (supporting one stable fedora for 2Y+).

> The proposals previously in this thread are ideas aimed at presenting
> users with an annual release from a marketing/ambassadors/design, etc.,
> point of view, but also addressing our upstream stakeholders' desire to
> have Fedora ship their software fast. (For example, GNOME.)

Would the 'rolling release' approach help WRT upstream stakeholders, even
if we had longer major release cycle?

Pavel