Re: cross-compiler support?

Igor Gnatenko <ignatenko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Well there is gcc-arm-linux-gnu for example but that's for kernels per
> > description
> Didn't see it before... But looks like it doesn't work either:
> /usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find -lc
> /usr/bin/arm-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory

Yeah - it's intended for building kernels (though it can build anything that
provides its own userspace).

There are a number of reasons I *don't* provide userspaces:

 (0) I build cross-compilers for 20-ish arches (note that not all kernel
     arches are actually supported by upstream gcc and binutils).

 (1) No single upstream C library supports all the arches I can build a
     cross-compiler for, so I would have to include multiple C libraries in
     the SRPM and build some arches differently to others.  Some I won't be
     able to bootstrap at all without an old or hacked version of a C library.

 (2) Do I bootstrap-build a single config for each arch or several configs?
     What one or ones do I pick?  Note that not all configs of a single arch
     are necessarily supported by the same C library (consider MMU vs NOMMU).
     Further note that each bootstrap increases the build footprint and
     installation footprint - and at some point the package will become
     unbuildable.

IMHO, it shouldn't be necessary for the compiler to know anything about the C
library...

David