Re: how does Fedora 24 x86_64 boot on EFI-32?

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Jack Howarth
>> <howarth.mailing.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>    While evaluating various Linux distributions for repurposing a
>>> MacBook Pro 2,1 as a Linux box, I was pleasantly surprised to find
>>> that not only was Fedora unique in producing a bootable disk without
>>> resorting to the presence of an OS x partition with eEFind, but that
>>> it was unique in being about to boot the x86_64 linux kernel from
>>> EFI-32 firmware.
>>
>> No. There's no 32-bit UEFI bootloader stuff being built in Fedora. If
>> it's booting, I suspect that the EFI compatibility support module
>> (CSM-BIOS) is being triggered, and this is actually a legacy BIOS
>> boot. If you get it booted, you can do 'efibootmgr -v' and post the
>> results. Basically if you get some lines that look like entries, then
>> it's a UEFI boot, and if you get an error then it's a BIOS boot.
>>

> Fedora does, however, configure the kernel with CONFIG_EFI_MIXED=y.
> If you can get the kernel to be invoked by 32-bit UEFI, it should
> work.

That precludes using EFI STUB as the bootloader, which is what
Fedora's GRUB uses. So when building the 32-bit EFI GRUB, I'd use
upstream git, not Fedora's code base.

Also there will be some post install cleanup, where the installer
created HFS+ volume used as an EFI System partition needs to be wiped
(or at least remove the NVRAM entry that points to it, but wiping it
is better to avoid either the firmware or OS X's startup panel from
finding it); and add the user built 32-bit EFI GRUB to the Mac's real
EFI System partition, and then updating NVRAM to point to it.

--
Chris Murphy