Re: how does Fedora 24 x86_64 boot on EFI-32?

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Jack Howarth
> <howarth.mailing.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>    While evaluating various Linux distributions for repurposing a
>> MacBook Pro 2,1 as a Linux box, I was pleasantly surprised to find
>> that not only was Fedora unique in producing a bootable disk without
>> resorting to the presence of an OS x partition with eEFind, but that
>> it was unique in being about to boot the x86_64 linux kernel from
>> EFI-32 firmware.
>
> No. There's no 32-bit UEFI bootloader stuff being built in Fedora. If
> it's booting, I suspect that the EFI compatibility support module
> (CSM-BIOS) is being triggered, and this is actually a legacy BIOS
> boot. If you get it booted, you can do 'efibootmgr -v' and post the
> results. Basically if you get some lines that look like entries, then
> it's a UEFI boot, and if you get an error then it's a BIOS boot.

Fedora does, however, configure the kernel with CONFIG_EFI_MIXED=y.
If you can get the kernel to be invoked by 32-bit UEFI, it should
work.

(I've looked at the somewhat terrifying kernel code that makes this
work, but I've never tried to use it.  I neither own nor want to own a
machine with 32-bit UEFI.  Supposedly it's possible to test under
OVMF.)

--Andy