Re: Base Runtime prototype build and numerous FTBFS issues

On 12/01/2016 06:06 AM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> (Since this is a common question: No, the final Base Runtime module,
>> or the Generational Core stack it is part of, won't be self-hosting and
>> we won't be shipping the entire set we're currently working with under
>> that name.)

>> And the modulemd input for this build is here:
>> http://pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org/cgit/modules/base-runtime.git/tree/base-runtime.yaml?id=d2485512c7916304e73fabc5db422798eb2be1d5
> Wondering why rubygem*, jboss*, nodejs* and gstreamer* are there...

As noted in the quote above, this is part of the bootstrapping set. In order to
get off the ground, we need to be able to build modules in the module
infrastructure. This means we need to be able to build the tools that build the
packages in the modules (and in turn, the tools to build those tools and so on).
The 2943 SRPMs in this first pass comprises the full, recursive set of packages
necessary to self-host the Base Runtime set of 162 SRPMs.

Given the relatively small number of failures, it's not really worth the effort
(right now) to try to figure out why certain packages are getting pulled in.
Yes, this set is far larger than we would prefer, but since this is a
bootstrapping effort that will hopefully not need to happen again, there's no
strong reason to dig deeply into it except to satisfy curiosity.