Re: Nautilus usability

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:20:18 -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> > And what does that have to do with the progress window issue?
>
> Sorry for taking the thread off-track.  I had accidentally deleted the
> original message and thought there was something about multiple copies
> taking a long time as well.
>
> I agree with you that the progress info window is not so useful and
> often seems somewhat broken.

Multiple tasks taking some time to complete is the prerequisite for the
progress window issues to show up.

If it were only a single tasks, fine. Then the tiny progress window would
be sufficient. But when waiting for a couple of tasks and using the same
Nautilus window to copy/move more files or directories, the progress
window isn't helpful. It gets cluttered up. It jumps to the top automatically,
disturbing the user's scrollbar usage. It cannot be cleaned up while waiting
for more tasks to finish. It cannot be moved into a separate window like
Firefox's list of downloads. It's been made for very basic usage scenarios
only, unfortunately.

As another surprise, F25 GNOME Shell crashed and logged me out in the
middle of sending a mail. ABRT claims the backtrace is unusable. A few
such backtraces have piled up meanwhile.