Re: F24 GStreamer zero day

Hi,

On 23-11-16 15:36, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 09:39 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

What about the larger picture?  Can tracker be made optional again
for
the GNOME desktop?

Thanks,
Florian

No, many of our core applications depend on tracker to be able to see
files, and others (e.g. nautilus) use tracker to make search not take
forever.

I don't think that is entirely true. I've recently been trying
to get gnome3 to run on under-powered machines like cheap ARM
tablets, and I can do "dnf remove tracker" more or less just
fine, I loose totem due to some weird dependency chain, and I
think also gnome-documents which I guess is an issue for some
use-cases, but most of gnome will stay and work just fine.

I don't think we'll support running without tracker anytime
soon.

I think that is rather short sighted, although tracker overall
does well with not hogging the system it is still simply too
heavy for some systems, both in memory use and in generated
IOs, take e.g. GNOME3 on a raspberry pi running from a sdcard,
there you really don't want tracker, so if you say:

"I don't think we'll support running without tracker anytime
soon."

I read:

"I don't think we will have a usable GNOME3 on the Raspberry
Pi anytime soon."

Regards,

Hans