Re: upcoming build and release developer flag day December 12 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> koji authentication will be switching to Kerberos. Koji supports multiple
>> authentication mechanisms. Fedora infrastructure has set up a freeipa
>> instance internally that has credential syncing to fas. We are working on
>> ensuring that gssapi caching is supported so that you can have multiple
>> TGT's and the ability to work in multiple reams at once. you can get
>> started today by doing kinit <fas username>@FEDORAPROJECT.ORG if you move
>> your ~/.fedora.cert file out of the way authentication will still work.
>
> Maybe a crazy idea, but couldn't Koji just use our SSH keys for
> authenticating somehow? Those just work without any extra setup, they never
> expire, and unlocking passphrase-protected keys is also an already solved
> problem (ssh-askpass including GNOME and KDE versions, ssh-agent). All that
> would have to happen is to tunnel the Koji CLI's communication through SSH
> to koji.fedoraproject.org or to some trusted tunnel server that you can
> delegate authentication to.

Well the koji web interface itself doesn't use authentication anymore,
from a fedpkg PoV there's a lot of complexity with http(s) because it
could be proxied or NATed (worst is CG-NAT) so the same connection
from the same laptop might not even come via the same IP. Basically
what you're describing is exactly what kerberos solves, tokens to
authenticate various different connections.

A lot of companies and data security standards explicitly disallow ssh
keys because of the fact it's client side pass phrases with no way to
enforce a policy so there's no way to tell even if the key has a
passphrase. Personally I'd like to see eventually the move to kerberos
to replace ssh-keys as it's easier to enforce a minimum policy and
manage.

Peter