Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

On 2016-11-18 10:13 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
I don't think it would make upgrades less problematic because
both dnf and gnome-software can already remove problematic packages
without needing obsoletes.

This isn't entirely true. It's true in straightforward cases, but there are complex cases where it just can't manage until a human removes some packages forcibly before the upgrade. I can't recall the precise details, but I saw more than one such case while testing upgrade from Fedora 13 to Fedora 25 a couple of weeks ago.

I really don't think asking users is a great behaviour here at all. It's a difficult and stressful question to answer in most cases, even for 'experts'. If the package is one you're actually familiar with it's not so bad, but when it isn't, the answer is not at all obvious.

I think we absolutely ought to work hard on populating the fedora-obsolete-packages package with obsoletes of all previously-retired packages that are not currently obsoleted, and make it a requirement going forward that any retired package not obsoleted by some other package is obsoleted by fedora-obsolete-packages. In fact I'm planning to write a script to generate data for it by chomping through every package (in Koji or pkgdb or something, haven't decided yet what source of info is the best) and looking for retired-but-not-obsoleted ones.

Still, we're a bit off the original topic now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey