Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Certainly. My point is that I don't feel that we are necessarily responsible for
> working around their antagonism either. Yes, it would be nice if Fedora
> supported all hardware ever made. But the simple truth is that Apple tries very
> hard to make it *not* work. They have a vested interest in that.

I think you overestimate their concern. Apple tries very hard to make
Windows work on Macs. If you're thinking they simultaneously are
trying to prevent Ubuntu or Fedora from running, I think that's silly.
That's less of a concern than Hackintoshes. Apple, so far, doesn't
prevent even that, even though they could. I suspect they consider it
a non-factor or a zero sum game at this point.

> So I assert that while support for Apple hardware is desirable, I don't believe
> that the lack of it should prevent us from shipping Fedora for all the other
> hardware that we do support.

Yeah but you're not being very specific where you want to draw the
line compared to any other hardware vendor who has the same outcome as
Apple hardware. And that outcomes has less to do with that vendor's
choices, than Fedora's.

--
Chris Murphy