Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

> Thoughts on how to generate these random strings are of course up for
> discussion. Given that initial machine creation may have limited available

I am fighting against human unreadable names in hostnames (specifically in datacenters) and I created a little tool [1] that generates human readable and memorizable names made out of frequently occurring given names and surnames from the 1990 US Census (public domain data - confirmed with Fedora legal). This gives about 33 million unique total names. Examples:

velma-pratico.my.lan
angie-warmbrod.my.lan
grant-goodgine.my.lan
alton-sieber.my.lan
velma-vanbeek.my.lan
don-otero.my.lan
sam-hulan.my.lan

We could consider similar approach for default hostnames. I can imagine the US names can be confusing, we can swap these with colors or other words to make it little bit less confusing (e.g. "blue-star"). This is definitely nicer than "Fedora-c4feb4b3", I don't like sharing same prefixes, this makes tab expansion unusable, it usually needs wider columns in lists etc. Distribution name is, I think, not relevant when it comes to naming computers. It is just a name, "yellow-dog" isn't that bad, is it?

Another thing that should be take into account is not doing this randomly, but seeding the algorithm based on hardware specifics (MAC, serial number), so when system is reprovisioned, it gets the very same hostname. This approach can be combined with the above one if needed, giving:

- human readable names
- memorizable names
- consistent names after reinstallation

[1] https://github.com/lzap/deacon

This is a rubygem, but this kind of thing is trivial (and fun) to write, I can give a hand implementing this in Python in order to allow Anaconda to do this if folks like my idea.