Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

> For as long as I can recall, Fedora has shipped with a default hostname of
> "localhost.localdomain"[1]. This default was "safe" for a very long
> time because
> we also shipped an /etc/hosts entry that routed this hostname to the loopback
> device for the benefit of some older system services (like sendmail).
>
> However, having the default be the same on all systems introduces other
> problems, notably with regards to acting as a client to FreeIPA or Active
> Directory domain controllers.
>
> When enrolling with one of these DCs, the machine's current hostname (up to the
> first dot) is used to uniquely identify the machine into the domain. If the
> machine's hostname is not unique in that domain, the enrollment will either fail
> or the machine will take over that name (depending on the server-side
> implementation). Neither case is likely to be what the user intended.
>

> Some information on competing platforms:
>
> Windows deals with this on for its systems by assigning all new machines a
> random hostname of the form WIN-XXXXXXXXXXX (that's a strict count of 11 random
> characters of either capital letters or decimal numerals after the WIN- prefix).
> This is because there is a 15-character maximum limit on the machine-name in
> Active Directory, after which it is simply truncated (which is a bad behavior,
> but one we have to deal with).
>
> Mac OS X and Ubuntu both require the user to pick a machine name at install time
> explicitly. They do not autogenerate one at all.
>
> SUSE generates a random name of the format linux-XXXXXX (I'm not sure how many
> random characters).
>

> My proposal is that we should consider changing the default hostname for Fedora
> 26 to be either FED-XXXXXXXXXXX or FEDORA-XXXXXXXX. The former allows for a
> longer random string and therefore lower risk of collision in large
> environments, while the latter would also provide improved branding for
> Fedora[2]. Our default BASH shell prompt includes the current machine's hostname.
>

> Thoughts on how to generate these random strings are of course up for
> discussion. Given that initial machine creation may have limited available
> entropy, we may want to avoid just calling out to /dev/random. Dusty Mabe
> suggested in on IRC that one option might be to use either the first or last
> 8/11 characters from /etc/machine-id, since presumably those would be
> sufficiently random.
>

> [1] Unless there is a DHCP-assigned hostname, in which case it will use that.
>
> [2] There is an ongoing discussion on the desktop@ list about how to subtly
> brand the Workstation Edition such that when people are using it or showing it
> to others, it is clear that it is *Fedora* as opposed to any other GNOME
> distribution.

I like Fedora-XXXXXXXX for default hostname. If I don't care to set a hostname it would be an ok hostname for my machine. I would however like if the hostname setting would be more prominent in the installer. Possibly generating based on my name along the lines of:  fredriks-laptop.rambris.lan