Re: Bodhi For Rawhide?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:53:27 +0200
Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking, why we don't have enabled Bodhi for Rawhide? I know
> that you might think now that I went nut and it is bureaucracy, but
> let me explain.
>
> If I understand it correctly, during several past years, our build
> process was more streamlined and we are trying to do the Rawhide
> composes in a similar fashion we are doing stable releases. But for
> some reason, we are still not using Bodhi for Rawhide and I see no
> reasons not to use it. Here are some benefits if we were using Bodhi:
>
> * One of the nice things which Bodhi does is running several check,
> such as depcheck, rpmlint (actually question if we are using rpmlint
> for Fedora builds was what triggered this email), etc. On one hand,
> I'd love to see these checks running in Koji, but there is no support
> for them and I don't even see the support coming. So enabling Bodhi
> for Rawhide would give us this opportunity.

One slight correction here - taskotron runs depcheck, upgradepath etc.
and bodhi queries resultsdb to display those results.

> It is actually quite interesting, that while most of the development
> happens in Rawhide, there is less sanity checks then for the Rawhide,
> so if you screw up something in Rawhide, it will get into stable
> version and you might not notice until you submit some stable update.

It'd be great to run sanity checks on rawhide. It's something that
we've wanted to do but haven't done as it hasn't really been a
priority. The first tasks that were run in taskotron didn't really
make sense to run in rawhide but with the addition of rpmgrill and
abicheck, that situation may have changed.

The only potential challenge I'm aware of for running things on
rawhide is having a reliable method for creating a rawhide environment
in which we can run checks. While rawhide is indeed more stable than it
used to be, there can still be tooling changeovers and glitches which
complicate the process of getting a reliable, clean rawhide environment
in which checks can be executed. I'm not saying that it can't happen
but it'll take a bit of work.

If we're talking about checks which can run against rawhide bits using a
branched fedora as the execution environment, that would involve fewer
changes to our existing processes and probably something that could
happen more quickly.

Tim

<snip>