Re: RPM %changelog?

On 10/25/2016 05:15 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Matthew Miller wrote:

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 07:39:19PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Hmmm. I think I don't consider it duplicated information. A commit
messages in the VCS afaics is something that is written for other
developers that want to understand/track changes (now or in the future).

This was my first thought too -- but then, there's also dist-git, which
may be what this refers to. I wouldn't be completely opposed to phasing
out in-package changelogs in favor of some tool which presents that to
users in a nice way. (dnf plugin!)

My dist-git commit messages often contain stuff that is too long for the RPM
%changelog. They also usually contain a complete paste of the RPM %changelog
entry including the date + author + EVR line in the body (plus a summary as
the special first line, plus occasionally some additional freeform text as a
separate paragraph below the changelog snippet paste). If you attempt to
generate an RPM %changelog from that, it will look really, really ugly.

What I often do is write write the changelog entry in a way that can be used as the summary line of dist-git, and then the rest of the commit message explains the details in the level of detail necessary.

The same would easily go the other way around, but it requires committing (no pun intended) to a certain style of commit messages and an opt-in mechanism for using dist-git for the changelogs. And some way to flag which commits are meant for changelog and which are not, for example in Mageia "(SILENT)" prevents inclusion in rpm changelog. At the very least you'd want to skip old messages with ill-suited formatting etc.

	- Panu -